Monday, November 21, 2011

El Bambi Cafe

This weekend I was driving with Naomi to Provo to watch the BYU vs NMSU game. In Beaver we were hungry and decided to stop and get some food. As we were driving down the main road, I saw the El Bambi Cafe sign


After seeing the sign I remembered my Mom saying something about my Grandpa frequenting the place. He used to drive truck between St. George and Salt Lake City. Every Monday he was there at El Bambi Cafe as he passed through Beaver on the old Highway. He loved to eat there.

Opened in 1945, El Bambi sat right on the old highway that passed through Beaver, UT. Truck drivers congregated there as did locals and many a passerby. The food was always excellent. The original owners took pictures of the regular truck drivers that went through and hung them on the wall. The photos are in a storage unit now. I would be interested to see if my grandpa was one of them.

We had left St. George early in the morning and it was only about 9 AM when we got to Beaver. When we entered El Bambi I could tell it was still popular with the locals. The few that were there all knew the owner and were having a conversation with her. She knew them all by name and offered them all hot coffee to warm them from the 29 degree air outside.

The cafe looked like it hadn't been remodeled since the 1960's or 70's. The old look and feel added to the small town charm and overall experience I had there. The menu was large and varied. I was tempted by every option before me. When the time came to order, I ordered the cinnamon roll french toast and cottage fried potatoes for breakfast. The french toast really hit the pleasure-spot. It had a slightly crispy outer layer that protected the smooth cinnamon roll on the inside. The cottage fried potatoes were buttery and crispy like a good hashbrown. The food was great! It is a must when passing through Beaver.





No comments:

Post a Comment